Sunday, October 5, 2008

What I Learned Canvassing in Allentown, PA This Weekend

After a successful canvassing experience last weekend in Piscataway, NJ, I was fully prepared to take my enthusiasm to Allentown, PA.  I completely underestimated the differences between canvassing in a pro-Obama community versus being in a much more conservative area.  It was a very educational experience.  This is what I learned:

~Remain positive-Even though it is difficult to stay positive and upbeat after having people yell at you or slam the door in your face, you have to otherwise you will not be able to canvass.  I reminded myself that so many people who had this reaction are frustrated, scared, and overwhelmed by the current political situation.  They need to see a positive face from you.  They will remember that and, perhaps, not slam the door on the next Obama canvasser.  

~Know when to speak and when to listen-Many people don't just want to hear a spiel, they want to discuss what is important to them.  Listen to them and validate their concerns.  Be prepared to explain how Obama is addressing those concerns and, if you don't know, refer them to his website.  And let them hear your story.  Many actually do want to know why you are walking for hours in the rain or heat to talk to them on their doorsteps.  They want to have that personal connection.  This could mean the difference between them voting for Obama or not.  And in battleground states, we need every vote we can get.

~The Power of Thanks-Thank every person for their time.  They didn't have to open the door.  They didn't have to talk to you or take your literature.  But they did.  And even if they aren't supporting Obama, thank them anyway.  Make the positive impression.  Be the bigger person.  And for those of us volunteering our time, we appreciate the coordinators thanking us, even though we are giving our time gladly and aren't looking for praise.  It meant so much to me when coordinators thanked me for my work.  It was genuine and I appreciated that.  Simple but powerful.

~Partnership is Imperative-Have a fellow canvasser with you.  You can support each other through the experience and it helps to have an ally when you are dealing with a hostile person.  And it makes it easier to walk for hours when you have a like-minded, passionate person to talk  to.  Your partners will inspire you.  I know mine did.

~Never Make an Assumption About Anyone-If you are in a battleground state, never assume that because the person you are talking to is a Democrat they are voting for Obama.  Likewise for people listed as Republicans.  People will surprise you.  Age, ethnicity, gender:  do not make any assumptions based on these things.  Start fresh talking to each person as an individual.  And you may experience racism that startles you.  I never realized how insulated I was from public displays of racism until this weekend.  I was not prepared for it and it shocked me.  I realized that you really do not know how pervasive this is until you get people talking.

~Undecided Voters are NOT Lost Causes-They can make or break this election.  Talk to them for as long as they will let you.  Find out what is on their minds and tell them why Obama is the really the candidate for them.  They will frustrate you because of the indecision but don't be daunted.  Hang in there.  You can help them make the right decision.  My partners and I spent lots of time with undecided voters and made the difference in several cases.  I am really proud of that.

~The Ends Justify the Means-This weekend I spent two days canvassing and missed out on the family time that I live for.  The other volunteers I met this weekend did the same.  We chatted about our families, what they were doing while we were working, what we were missing out on or going home to.  We all felt some sense of loss at missing out on those moments but I don't think any of us would change a thing.  We did this for our families because our families deserve better.  We did this because we were able to find the time and understand that so many other people would be out there if they could.  They were with us in spirit.  My children understood that I will be at other soccer games or bake with them another weekend.  This weekend was dedicated to their future and they will understand that one day when they are older.  

~Obama Supporters Are Amazing-They are from all walks of life.  They never turn down a chance to help this cause.  They canvassed, they trained volunteers, they made phone calls, they housed fellow volunteers, and they cooked enough food to feed the army that worked this weekend.  They are inspirational.  And they are all of us.  

I am proud to have worked with the incredible people in Allentown this weekend.  Knowing that dedicated volunteers like these are working all over the country reinforces my hope.  I have never been more confident that Obama will win this election.  

No comments: